Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Creating Taquete Designs

Here's how I do the charted designs for taquete. I use Fiberworks PCW, which has a wonderful little feature. You can create something called a sketchpad, which gets saved as a bitmap file. You can set the size of the grid and then enlarge it so it's easy to select the squares. For this, the grid is 11 squares wide, and the height I set depends on the design I'm creating. If you think of each column in the grid as representing a block, you could label the column with the number of the pattern shaft for that column -
3 4 5 6 7 8 7 6 5 4 3
but after you do a design or two, you don't need the label.



This is assuming that you have used a summer and winter threading with the blocks in point order. The shell design shown here is completely symmetrical so it can be woven with no pickup. The teapot and teacup both require a small amount of pickup for the handle of the cup and for the spout and handle of the teapot.

In both of these cases, I simply have a two color design - one color (white) for the background and one color for the pattern. You can also make a design with multiple colors - though if you get more than three or four, you're going to be juggling shuttles quite a bit!


If you want distinct designs that don't merge (assuming you have repeats of the blocks in point order), then create your design so the right and left columns are part of the background.

This is addictive!!!

5 comments:

charlotte said...

This is so fascinating and inspiring! I have done this kind of small patterns in my knitting, but I never thought that this was possible with weaving. Thank you for sharing!

Life Looms Large said...

I thought this was so cool that I launched my copy of Fiberworks, but I can't find bitmap mode. I have the bronze version of Fiberworks....is that what you have?

The manual didn't talk about bitmap mode either.

I've barely started to use Fiberworks....so it's great when people tell me cool things it can do!

Sue

Deanna said...

Sue, click on Open Sketchpad in the File menu. It will open a grid. Right click to bring up the dialog that lets you set the size of the grid. Then you can enlarge it so it is easier to see and to work with.

Life Looms Large said...

Thanks Deanna!!! Now I just need Fiberworks Silver or above (I have bronze).

Sue

Deanna said...

Bummer Sue. I didn't know that the Bronze version doesn't have the sketchpad. Sorry about that. Do you have Photoshop? There's an easy way to use that for the same thing.