Monday, February 2, 2009

Taqueté Experiment

First, a Doh! When I warp sectionally, I push each section into velcro mounted on a stick, and use that stick to advance the warp for threading. I hang cords from the built-in raddle and use pegs to make loops for the stick to go through. This works very well, except when I goof as I did here. The warp sections should go over the back beam and then go over the stick from the other direction. Duh... oh well, at least it was fairly easy to fix, and I realized it immediately.

This warp is 8/2 cotton sett at 20 epi. It's a summer and winter threading, blocks in point order with 7 pattern repeats. My plan was to weave the towel in summer and winter, but a design band in taqueté.

It will be interesting to see what this looks like off the loom. In the photo, it looks like I have a treadling error - at the same point in both repeats. I could swear I didn't skip anything - I'm wondering if the pattern wefts that aren't weaving pattern will even out when the tension is released. We'll see. Right now, it doesn't look much like what I was shooting for - I suspect I need fatter pattern wefts.

At least I'm having fun.


Notes from Nicki said...

It's nice seeing someone else play with taquete. Have your tried beating harder on the taquete portion vs. the summer and winter. I have found on taquete you cannot beat too hard.


Gwen said...

It looks beautiful to me - very delicate (both the pattern and the colors). I haven't tried summer & winter yet (never mind taquete), but I'm working through the Chandler book and will get there eventually! ;)

Deanna said...

Nice to meet you, Nicki! I tried beating harder, but my loom only allows me to go so far. I suspect with the 8/2 warp, and 3/2 pattern weft, I either need a finer warp or a fatter pattern weft. I finished the first towel - I think I'll experiment a little before the second one.
Nice to meet you too, Gwen! Congrats on working through Chandler.