Monday, July 12, 2010

Starting to Move

I'm so excited - I've started moving things into my new loom room! Here's the view so far, as you walk in the door. I haven't moved my books yet, but the boxes of Handwovens and Weavers magazines are in place. On the left you can see my floor inkle loom (which doubles as a warping board.) In the back right corner is my reed stand and the winding station with my electric bobbin winder. My plan as I start moving books in is to list them in my librarything.com collection. I started listing my books there, but stalled due to the effort to schlepp them to my desk. Now that they have to be moved anyway (and dusted off ) - this seems like the perfect time to *really* get them organized.

And this is a view that thrills me everytime I see it - I moved the metal shelves and the bins holding my yarn stash from the storage shed in the back yard to the closet, and they all fit!

Mostly weaving yarns on the left, knitting yarns on the right, and the middle stack is spinning fiber. I probably could spin and weave for the rest of my life with just what I've got in my stash. On the left you can see my takadai and marudai, and the warping wheel. In front is the bench I use with the David loom, and behind the tv tray is my spinning wheel.

I'm planning on moving the looms Saturday. There will be quite a bit of dismantling and reassembly that will have to happen, so it's going to be a big job. Then, all that is left is getting a worktable setup. I look forward with great joy and anticipation to enjoying my creative time in this room!

There will be one delay, though. On Sunday, I am flying to Albuquerque. I didn't register for Convergence, and I was one of the people who missed the Complex Weavers registration, but I am going to stay in a rental house with 3 of my dearest friends - we became buddies back in ancient times in the old Compuserve Crafts Forum, way back in the early 90's. Our friendship has blossomed over the years, with lots of shared additional interests besides weaving and spinning and braiding and quilting. I can't wait to see them face to face! We'll be getting day passes to see the exhibits and peruse the vendor hall at Convergence, with the highlight being getting to see Debbie's marvelous double weave piece in Small Expressions!

I feel like so many dreams are coming true for me this summer, and I am so grateful. I've been in a sort of limbo for quite a few years now - feeling painfully stuck, but something has broken loose and I'm back in the flow again! The bonus is that for many years, San Diego Creative Weavers Guild has been searching for a home. I served on the Vision committee a while back, trying to figure something out, but no matter what we tried, thing fell through. Well, last month we got to hear a wonderful presentation from Kay Blatchford, owner of Kay Blatchford's San Diego Rug Cleaning Company. You may remember from a previous post to this blog what a neat place that is - we had an excursion there last year with the Warped Explorers group. Well, during the business meeting, a report was given on the recent arrangements that fell through, and they offered us meeting space in their building, since we meet on Saturdays and they are off that day. They are even giving us an unused office to house our guild library. This feels auspicious, and once again, the answer to a dream many of us have held for a long time. I'm so thrilled and thankful - for Kay Blatchford's wonderful and kind offer, for the committee of members who have worked so long and hard to manifest this. Maybe this will be a shot in the arm for the guild, like my new loom room feels like a shot in the arm for me. :-)

Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!

2 comments:

Sara said...

And Joy for you too! The title of the post says it all: things are staring to move.... :)

Congratulations,
S.

Life Looms Large said...

So much great news in one post! I'm so glad you've made so much progress with your loom room, and that the looms will be moving in this weekend!

Your trip to Convergence sounds wonderful! Enjoy!!

It's also great news that your guild has found a meeting space!! (That rug field trip of yours was fabulous - I remember!!)

Just want to add some "Happy Birthday" wishes to all of the good things coming your way. Hope you have a great day and a wonderful year!!

Best,
Sue