Sunday, July 25, 2010

Albuquerque

I'm home after a marvelous week in Albuquerque. I did get pictures with my new little point and shoot camera, but not as many as I had hoped to get. My friends had gigantic fancy SLR cameras, though, and they got TONS of photos, and I'm hoping they'll share some of those with me. :-)

I didn't register for Convergence this year, and was too late to sign up for Complex Weavers - this is the first year they had online registration and sold out in a few days! Not good for me, but good news for weaving! But I have a group of dear friends - weavers and one quilter - that have been good friends since the early 90's - the days of the Crafts Forum on Compuserve. This trip was mostly our reunion, although we did purchase day passes to see the exhibits and roam the vendor hall. I did make a few purchases - I'll share those in the next post.

The first few days, ABQ was hot hot hot - bright sunshine and very dry. The city has beautiful vistas from almost anywhere you find yourself. It sits in a valley with mountains just east of the city. Our rental house was in a fairly new subdivision just west of the city - we had a great view looking east toward the mountains, overlooking the lights of the city at night.

This Sun happy face was on the front of our house - good symbol for Albuquerque!

One of our first excursions was to visit Petroglyph Park. It really is amazing to view these ancient carvings in the black rocks of the area. I'm not sure why my camera gave this one a rainbow sheen, perhaps because the sun was REALLY bright?!





From one of the trails at the park, looking south, you can see encroaching suburbia.


It's a shame the whole area can't be preserved. We did see some graffiti - which is really sad because there is nothing that can be done to repair the damage. Still, it was amazing to contemplate an ancient communication device. Times have changed. :-)

1 comment:

Admin said...

Hi Deanna,
I enjoyed looking at the Petroglyph photos and would like to speak with you about blogging about YOUR blog. Would you please email me from my Blogger profile? I can't find any way to email you from yours. Thanks!
Jan
Myrtle Beach Web Design